If ever there was the perfect plant for the ultimate brown thumb, the ZZ plant is it. This virtually indestructible houseplant can take months of neglect and low light and still look amazing (sounds like a fantastic Christmas gift!)
If you’re thinking of adding some greenery to your home over the summer months, here are my quick tips on keeping your plants looking their best:
- When to water? Stick your fingers into the soil. If it’s dry down to your second knuckle, top it up.
- Drain the water well, don’t let it sit in a drip tray of water (especially in winter as this can cause rotting)
- Take it outside once every month or two. Leave it in the shade for the day and wash down the leaves with the hose to remove the household dust.
- Try to avoid spraying household products around them. Deodorants, insect sprays and perfume are not great, even for the super tough plants like ZZ.
- Feed once every 2 – 4 weeks with a soluble fertiliser (follow directions on pack) during spring and summer.
Happy plants, happy life!